A Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Party Worthy Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Coffee Cake afficionados take note of this Sour Cream Coffee Cake recipe. Originally presented on the Food Channel, Ina Garten's recipe is fantastic....and easy!
I'm a huge fan of Ina's...my dream is to own all of her cookbooks! (Hint, hint, family...now you know what to buy me for my birthday:) At any rate, this coffee cake is amazingly good and the maple syrup adds a surprising taste to the glaze. And like any recipe, you can play around a bit with the ingredients and make it your own...like adding lemon or orange zest to the batter and glaze....it could make all the difference.
Start a Cookbook Collection!
I've just put in my order and I can't wait until Amazon delivers it to my doorstep. Jump on the Barefoot Contessa bandwagon by clicking here to browse Ina Garten Cookbooks.
A big "THANKS" goes out to dumpling and Heidi for their photo contributions and general inspiration! These guys rock!
Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe
Ingredients for the Cake:
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
2. Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for 4 to 5 minutes, until light. Add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla and sour cream. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined. Finish stirring with a spatula to be sure the batter is completely mixed.
3. For the streusel, place the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and butter in a bowl and pinch together with your fingers until it forms a crumble. Mix in the walnuts, if desired.
4. Spoon half the batter into the pan and spread it out with a knife. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup streusel. Spoon the rest of the batter in the pan, spread it out, and scatter the remaining streusel on top. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
5. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. Carefully transfer the cake, streusel side up, onto a serving plate. Whisk the confectioners' sugar and maple syrup together, adding a few drops of water if necessary, to make the glaze runny. Drizzle as much as you like over the cake with a fork or spoon.
Print this Recipe
More ideas like this Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe
Back to Home Page
It's a Piece of Cake!
Welcome To My Site!
All the recipes here are free and I hope you enjoy them.
As you can see from my picture, I recently finished grad school. Needless to say I'm up to my eyeballs in debt! I needed a way to pay back my student loans and found one through Sitesell!
This little website earns enough money each month to pay back my loans (with some extra $$$ left over for me!) So whether you're a recent grad like me, a student, or just in need of some extra income let SiteSell help you build a web business.
| Chocolate Cakes | Coffee Cakes | Cheesecakes | Cupcakes |
| Template Design | Logo Design |
2009. easy-cake-recipes.com All Rights Reserved
Return to top